What do you do when life sucks? What do you do when it seems everyone and everything is against you? What do you do when your marriage isn’t what you want it to be or you are struggling with your kids? What do you do when your pile of bills is way bigger than you can pay? What do you do when you’re trying to lead but things are not going as you expect and hope? What do you do when you feel totally discouraged, hurt, and afraid?
Have you been here lately? Are you here now?
I want to encourage you–and myself–today. God is working, regardless of what you have done or are doing. He is at work, regardless of how you feel or the circumstances you are in. He cares for you and has a plan for your life no matter how long you’ve been asking and waiting.
In Psalm, 69, David tells God about his dire circumstances and opens up about how he is feeling. He said he was exhausted from crying for help (v. 3). Have you been there? I have.
After sharing all this for 12 verses, David says an important word: “But.”
“But,” he says, “I keep right on praying to you, Lord, hoping this time you will show me favor.”
- When life sucks … keep right on praying.
- When your circumstances are bad … keep right on praying (see Philippians 4:12-13).
- When you feel depressed, hurt, mad, confused, or whatever … keep right on praying.
- When you’re not hearing any answers … keep right on praying.
- When you’ve been praying a long, long time … keep right on praying (trusting in God’s, not your own, timetable).