What was Jesus saying? Consumers cannot be disciples. It takes a costly commitment to him.
- Talk openly about the costs and the commitments. Discuss what you think and how you feel about them. Encourage open, mask-free, honest dialog about what these commitments will involve.
- Discuss what hangups, obstacles, and fears group members have about making these commitments and paying these costs.
- Develop an environment of acceptance for where people are in their journeys and the emotions they are feeling in regard to the commitments and the costs.
- At the same time, however, encourage one another and spur one another on toward entering into the harder parts of living the Christian life together. Be supportive of one another and, as necessary, admonish one another, speaking the truth in love.
- Confess your failings to one another and forgive one another as you go.